Does the thought of hassling with brackets and metal wires have you hesitant to commit to orthodontic treatment? Fortunately, you can straighten your teeth without having to face this issue. Thanks to Invisalign in Ripon, you can discreetly and comfortably work towards a straighter, healthier smile. For successful treatment, you’ll need to wear the clear aligners no less than 22 hours per day. Although that may seem like a tall order, your orthodontist knows some actions you can take to easily meet Invisalign wear time.
How Does Invisalign Work?
First and foremost, it’s important to understand how Invisalign functions. This modern orthodontic treatment gently moves teeth into better alignment via small shifts that occur over time. There are a few reasons why these movements are so gradual.
The most important one is to protect the health and vitality of the teeth. If they are moved too quickly, your teeth can develop many problems (be sure to ask your orthodontist about this if you have questions). Also, slow, gradual movement ensures that our patients feel minimal discomfort throughout the treatment process.
Each set of trays is worn for a predetermined amount of time, usually 1-2 weeks. The trays apply slight pressure to a portion of your smile until it is properly aligned, and this is how the process continues to completion. You will visit your orthodontist approximately every 4-6 weeks to ensure everything is going according to plan and the teeth are moving correctly.
Why Is Invisalign Wear Time Important?
Since the aligners are only effective when they’re in contact with teeth, they must be worn for at least 22 hours to achieve the desired results. Neglecting to stick with the timing of trays as prescribed can lead to complications, discomfort, and even treatment delays.
How to Fulfill Your Daily Plan
Some people find it difficult to meet the recommended 22-hour wear time. Here are some Invisalign tips that can ensure this feat is easily achieved:
- Multitask while not wearing the aligners. When your trays are not in your mouth, consider placing them in a glass of water with cleaning crystals so they can be getting cleaned while you’re eating.
- Practice good oral hygiene. It’s strongly recommended that you brush, floss, and rinse immediately following your meals and before you slip your aligners back in your mouth. Be sure to brush the aligners as well!
- Advance to the next set of trays before bed. By doing so, you can sleep through the initial discomfort and avoid the urge to take your trays out.
- Remove the aligners for a set amount of time. Taking them out for 15 minutes at breakfast, 30 minutes at lunch, and 60 minutes at dinner will provide you with some extra time each day for eating or cleaning your teeth.
- Use an app. A smartphone app called Tray Minder can help you track your wear time throughout the day.
Meeting the recommended Invisalign wear time isn’t as difficult as you may think. By following the tips outlined above from your orthodontist, you can easily stay on track with your treatment plan and have the smile of your dreams before you know it!
About the Author
Dr. Frances Hamman is the orthodontist in Ripon you can trust with your family’s smiles. She earned her dental doctorate from Creighton University and then attained her degree in orthodontics from Case Western Reserve University. Dr. Hamman served on active duty in the United States Navy for six years. If you are interested in Invisalign in Ripon, these customized aligners can help teens and adults, plus dental insurance is accepted, and financing is available. Schedule a consultation on her website or call (920) 748-7130.